Everyone else is doing it, so why not here?
Every column inch in the dead-tree press will be filled for weeks with columnists’ own plans to save Britain / the World, and Boris Johnson knows this well, as a columnist. To each, the only plan for success is their own and any failure to follow it is a scandalously wasted opportunity that will seem like a betrayal. The success of Team Boris came swiftly and the backlash will be quicker.
In the meantime, it is my duty to see what plans can come from my febrile imaginings and those of my colleagues, which are, naturally, the only solution, the slightest failing in which is a criminal waste / betrayal / surrender to the Blob.
- Leave the EU on or before Reformation Day, 31 October, with or without a deal;
- If Brussels will not replace or amend the Withdrawal Agreement (see earlier post on that; “Fixing the Withdrawal Agreement“, then offer a unilateral post-withdrawal deal for continuing tariff-free trade.
- Reduce taxes for all, especially the squeezed Middle Classes, or ‘customers’ as we are known in business.
- Register the Establishment;
- A reforming unionist agenda:
- Do not buy nor publish maps which only show England and Wales, or only England.
- Run through all the Acts, rules and guidance which bar Scots and Ulstermen by carelessness of wording I have a very long list by my elbow)
- Close the Ulster Bypass, and use the government’s economies of scale to provide services equally in Ulster as such economies provide in Great Britain (another list by my elbow)
- Root through the national curriculum to remove regional bias
- A radical free speech initiative, inside and outside government, and inside government:
- Sack all diversity officers and cancel all equality and diversity training;
- Discipline or dismiss public servants who try to get colleagues sacked for transgressing codes of PC speech and behaviour;
- Order the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government to stop taking orders from Shelter, and remove any civil servants who act as conduits for that charity’s political ideas. Instead, support private landlords: they are the ones who provide homes and they will not if they are punished.
- Abolish inheritance tax.
- Delete the word “county” from local government terminology: those flags in the Square today are what counties are really about – community not bureaucracy
- Drive back the Long March:
- Stop advertising government jobs in the Guardian;
- Stop handing cash to ex-Labour politicians under the guise of research grants
- Other things that need doing you know perfectly well, but such deeds can only be named in the dark.
- And while you are about it: Land a man on the Moon and return him safely to the Earth.
Well that’s for the first week. Going into August there is more to be done.
By Boris Johnson:
- The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
- The Dream of Rome
- Have I Got Views For You
- The Spirit of London
- Johnson’s Life of London: The People Who Made the City That Made the World
- Seventy-Two Virgins
- The Borisaurus: The Dictionary of Boris Johnson by Simon Walters
- The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray
- Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay (1841)
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, by Jordan B Peterson
- Woke: A Guide to Social Justice by Titania McGrath