Last day of the Conference, and it was Boris’s day. Whatever else was happening (and it was), the only thing that will be talked about is the speech.
Boris Johnson follows Disraeli as the second first-rate stand-up comedian to enter Number 10 and he is loving it, as are we.
It was not just a Brexit speech: after three years and the complete meltdown of the political system as a result it was unavoidable that the subject dominated – but it looked ahead also.
Oh – and we have been riding so high on this Brexit lark: what will we do what it is achieved? It’s back to normal politics, and the Socialists hammering at the NHS and class war and all the dishonesties of politics. If the election is delayed to when it legally has to happen, which is May 2022, who knows what will have happened?
To the speech, I will add nothing, but let you hear it all.
By Boris Johnson:
- Seventy-Two Virgins
- The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
- The Dream of Rome
- Have I Got Views For You
- The Spirit of London
- Johnson’s Life of London: The People Who Made the City That Made the World
- The Path to Power by Margaret Thatcher
- The Downing Street Years by Margaret Thatcher
- Statecraft by Margaret Thatcher
- On Europe by Margaret Thatcher
- Margaret Thatcher: The Authorized Biography, by Charles Moore:
- Margaret Thatcher: Power and Personality by Jonathan Aitken
- Margaret Thatcher in Her Own Words (CD-Audio, ed. Ian Dale)
By David Cameron
By Tim Bale
- The Conservative Party: From Thatcher to Cameron
- The Conservatives since 1945: The Drivers of Party Change
- Footsoldiers: Political Party Membership in the 21st Century by Tim Bale, Paul Webb and Monica Poletti
- Rising Tides: Facing the Challenges of a New Era by Liam Fox
- Making a Success of Brexit and Reforming the EU by Roger Bootle
- Brexit: Its Necessity and Challenge by Tony Kosuge
- Brexit: How Britain Will Leave Europe by Denis MacShane
- Brexit: Why Britain Voted to Leave the European Union by Harold D. Clarke, Matthew Goodwin and Paul Whiteley
- Brexit: How Britain Left Europe by Denis MacShane
- Beyond Brexit: Towards a British Constitution by Vernon Bogdanor
- Woke: A Guide to Social Justice by Titania McGrath
- The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray
- Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay (1841)
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, by Jordan B Peterson
- Political Correctness Gone Mad?, by Jordan B. Peterson, Stephen Fry, Michael Eric Dyson and Michelle Goldberg